Saturday, August 26, 2006

Cabaret...

There's a Murphy's Law out there that says "If you have just learned the meaning of an obscure word that you could live a whole life without knowing about, but somehow found out about it and wondered halfheartedly what it was, it is going to pop up at frequent intervals for the rest of the month." Take cabaret, for instance... I first came across this word in the paper, as part of the self-proclaimed description of some little band that was going to open for the Panic! At The Disco show. "Cabaret-rock," they called themselves, and apperently were trying to mix classical into it or something, which heretofore has only worked in metal opera. Anyways, I asked myself what "cabaret" meant, got the reply of "I don't know," and dropped the issue. Well, as I, a couple days later and out of sheer boredom and laziness, was thumbing through the hinter pages of the Your Life section of the newspaper, I came across a review of a play. Can you guess the name of this play? Very good- "Cabaret" is correct. From this review, I learned that cabarets are some specific form of bar/speakeasy sort of thing, with dancing, performances and whatnot. The cabaret mentioned in particular being of the "located in pre-Nazi quickly becoming Nazi Germany" variety. And it came as little suprise to me, a week or so later, that when I looked up "beatboxing" on You Tube, one of the titles caught my eye. Taylor Aldredge, performing at Hunterdon Central Caberet. And I make no apologies for sticking You Tubes into most of my recent posts. I happen to think that You Tube is almost as useful and revolutionary as sliced bread. Except it's meat and drink to the sense of humor, not to the corpus.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erika said...

That IS weird...i've noticed that same thing before too!! maybe its just cuz we're more aware of it, as opposed to skimming over it before since we didn't know what it meant.

10:08 PM, August 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home