Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Here fishy fishy fishy!`

I went fishing last night, with my brother, my dad, and my dad's friend, on the Applethorn River. Dad's friend lives on the river, and it's been something of an annual tradition of ours since Dren got bit by the fishing bug. Being as it's a river, the fishing and fish are somewhat different than what I'm used to. Your hook and sinker are always bumping against rocks, so I have trouble telling what is a strike and what is just a blinkin' rock. Also, you have trees and snags and a current to work with. All this notwithstanding, we have a great time. Last night was pretty much the greatest fishing I've ever witnessed. Darren pulled 4 smallmouth out just from the dock as we were loading up. Then we just crossed the river, illegally tied up at someone elses dock, said hello to the neighbors and proceeded to pull another 20 smallmouth out from the immediate area. One could conclude that they were hungry. After a while we decided that it was just too easy, and we had to actually do some fishing, so we headed down the river, catching just enough fish to make it interesting. We even got a totally random bluegill and a couple catfish. Catfish are cool. They are grey with pink and black spots, and their tails look like shark tails... Seriously sweet. The crowning glory of the trip, however, was earned by Dad, who bears the distinction of having caught a duck and a nice smallmouth in one cast. The duck was of the dim-witted strain of mallards, and was under the delusion that our bait and lures were actually bread. It had been follwing us for a ways, darting hither and thither after our lines. Dad, in blissfull ignorance of the determination of hungry ducks, cast a lure out very close to it. The duck sprinted over, and dove for the lure, coming up with it in his mouth. After a few moments of close scrutiny, the duck realized that the organic whole grain hoagie bun he thought he had was actually some low grade environmentally hazardous plastic and rusy metal hooks. He spat it out in distain. However, a bass saw no reason to pass up some perfectly good junk food, and promptly went for it. He let go just before Dad got him to the boat, though. There would be a lesson here, but the ducks apparently weren't interested in lessons learned, as they kept following us. The evening closed with me getting a nice cut when my lure snagged and the line I was holding suddenly and forcefully wrapped around my finger, causing a paper-cut like wound around my finger, from the edge of my nail to the edge of my nail.

Now, you may be wondering why I wrote a post about fishing. It is rather unlike me, and rather like my brother. Well, I did it, ladies and gentlemen, to provide the backstory for the following paragraph. The real post:

Last night, as my dad, brother and I were returning home from a fishing trip, we were listening to the Laura Ingram show. It's a really great show, and my Dad prefers it in some ways to Rush, Hannidy and Savage. Only problem is, it plays at 8-9/10 or so at night, and who listens to talk shows at that ridiculous hour? Anyways, we (happily) were listening tonight. One Tammy Bruce was filling in, and at some part of her show, she said she was going to play a song I had never heard of before. "Bush Was Right" by The Right Brothers. This is what we heard.



All I have to say is: FINALLY!!!! People can rock out without compromising their political beliefs!!!!! Right Wing Punk Rock!!! WHOOOHOOO!!!!!!!

Catch more of their songs on their MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/therightbrothers The only good MySpace I've ever seen. Scroll down to find the "I Want To Live" video. You'll cry. LINK TO 'EM AND SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Darselo said...

Chicken... Let's see you say that with a name attached to your comment. -.-

5:35 PM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Neighbor,
Glad to hear you've finally had some fun fishing! The Applethorn has been a favorite of mine for some time now...
Let me know when you want to come down for a weekend to visit!!!lol

8:39 PM, August 22, 2006  
Blogger Darselo said...

Assuming that you are indeed AJB, I'd go right now if could, but I'll be a little busy starting college for a few weeks here. Once I settle back into a schedule again we'll have to try and make it happen. I started reading some of the Beverly Lewis books, and I really like them. Did we talk about her at Applebees?

2:14 PM, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am indeed AJB. And impressed that you remembered. Yes we did talk about her at Applebees, amung other authors. Keep me posted ok? By the way, do you still have my email address?

7:47 PM, August 30, 2006  
Blogger Darselo said...

Uh, I think I do, written down somewhere... I'll look, and if not, I'll let you know. Btw, I'll be over your way on Sept 19 as part of a required Art Dept. field trip.

8:00 PM, August 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home