Friday, March 10, 2006

Down dooby do down down...

Finally, I have the time for a really truely post... Lot's of catchup work to do, so let's start with the Olympics. Overall impression: Dissapointing. Why?
  1. NBC did a less than stellar job. They have this thing for dividing up events, and then mixing and matching the pieces, so maybe two ski runs here, 15 minutes of skating there... This means that those of us who tape the Olympics must either watch the whole 3 hours, or use up a ton of tape and live with all the commercials. Also, they pared down their medals ceremony coverage to just showing the national anthem. I kinda would like to see the athletes getting their medals, which, after all, is the point of the medals ceremony.
  2. There weren't any real stellar American heroes, outside of Joey cheek. Nobody to really root for. I thought maybe we had one in Chad Hendrick, but then there was that whole Shanni Davis thing. Then maybe Shaun White, until he declared his love for Sasha, which was weird enough, then went home and messed around with Lindsey Lohan or whatever... My favorite athletes of the games were Shizuka Arakawa (women's figure skating gold medalist) and the figure skaters from Georgia and Turkey. All foreigners.
  3. I've been looking forward to these Olympics for 4 years, and back at Salt Lake I was wondering what I would be like now, and what life would be like. Some expectations weren't met, and it just makes me feel old. Something I used to think was so far away is now done and gone. By the next Olympics I will be almost graduated from college. Man I'm old. I can still remember a teeny bit of the first Olympics I watched, at my Grandma Putter's farm, and WOW, have there been changes. That house has been sold for years now, and that TV saw it's end a while back as well. It was one of the kind where you turn a knob to change channels. So yeah, those kinds of feelings don't mix well with the Olympic spirit either... oh well. Vancouver is coming, and we have Bejing to mix things up a bit in 2 years. Wonder what I'll be like as a college grad? Hm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home