Friday, January 13, 2006

Why the Bad Boys are the Good Boys...

First off, let me direct you to a very funny blog I happened to spot on the "Recently Updated" thing... The Dormitory Boys are two Chinese guys lipsynching popular songs. They have got the moves down, let me tell you. And quite the fan base.

And now for the subject at hand. The Detroit Pistons whipped San Antonio at home the other day, by a healthy, dominating 15 points. Incidentally, they beat them by 15 points on Christmas as well. This was a very important game for them, as it was more or less a foreshadowing of what would happen in the Playoffs should the two teams meet again.
Good Signs:
  • Sheed was hot, but kept himself under control. No techs, and he didn't foul out.
  • Wallace is back to double didget rebounds.
  • It was a low-scoring game, which means that the Pistons more or less had their own way. Their style of play focuses on defense, so if they have 100 point games, it means they had to adjust their normal style of play, which isn't good.
  • They out rebounded the Spurs something like 57-32, which meant that they were really being aggressive, and staying focused.
  • They bet them at home, incedentally for the first time since 1997.
  • This makes two straight wins, which is a major mental victory for the Pistons as far as the playoffs.

Not the longest list I've ever made, but it does show that this was a real good thing for the Pistons. And if you haven't guessed yet (which means you never will and so I will have to tell you or leave you ignorant) I'm a huge fan of the Pistons (The Bad Boys and the present team). I'm not into the technical aspect of sports that much, so I inherit a lot of knowledge from my dad, who is really insightful on a lot of things. He's the one who explained to me about the Pistons defensive style of play for instance. I think that back in his younger days he was more into the Pistons than I am now. He doesn't waste money, and he hates crowds but he went to games and bought shirts and yearbooks and stuff. That was back in the Bad Boys days.

What is the main reason we like this team? Because they are a team. They play team ball. Name the one main talent on the Pistons. Go ahead, try. Having trouble? That's my point. The team isn't good because of one player, like Shaquille O'Neal or Michael Jordan. The players would have a hard time carrying a team individually. But put them together, and then you have a legendary team. The players are friends- none of this Kobe/Shaq. soap opera crap. They work hard. Look at Ben Wallace, look at Chauncey, who doesn't stop practicing free throws until he can get ten straight in a row. The team has heart- look at Rasheed. However, you can take any player out, and the team can still win games. That's how basketball should be.

I guess my favorite player on this team is Ben Wallace. For his work ethic, his cool hair, his blocks... He's just a great guy, on and off the court.

My next favorite is actually Carlos Arroyo. He has got some really tricky ball handling. It doesn't show up in the stats, but he has helped the Pistons a bunch, from what I've seen. Steals, saves... He's good. They should give him more time. They should give all the bench more time, because if they want to be playoff contenders, they need to have a deeper bench. They might not have Lindsey at 100% for the playoffs, and they need the bench to be able to step up. The starters are really good, but if one or two pick up injuries that keeps them out of the playoffs, the Pistons are done for with the bench they have now. McDyess is good, and so is Arroyo, but Evans, Maxiell, Delfino and espcially Dorko need more experience in actual games. Darco Millicic I do not like, simply because he is a lazy player. Sure, he only gets put in if they are up by 100 with one minute to go, but he could give it an effort. No followthrough, doesn't try for the rebounds, doesn't play hard defense. Just sad. I like this picture though, a huge contrast...


Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox, but not before putting in a plug for the Bad Boys. They could beat the pants off any team in the NBA today, even our Pistons... This post is already far too long, but I'll be back with more of my sports opinions on the Pistons and figure skating- the only two sports besides soccer I pay attention to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home